Sterkfontein guided fly-fishing package - Prime Time scheduled trips (26 Jan & 2 Feb 2024)
Limited PRIME TIME Guided Sterkfontein Dam fly fishing packages. (Weekend set departure or tailor-made options between 26 Jan & 2 Feb 2024)
Wayne's family have had co-ownership for over 30 years and he worked at Qwantani Resort for two years. They have enjoyed the privilege of fly fishing on Sterkfontein Dam for the past 30 years and learning the preferred fish locations and intricacies of the techniques, flies and fish behaviour. We would like to invite you to join us, so we can share our knowledge assist you with cracking the code for this world class dry fly fishing fishing mecca. There is no greater feeling than sneaking up on a trophy small or large mouth yellow fish which appears to be suspended in aqua marine water and watching it inhale your dry fly before exploding off with the reel screaming.
January to Mid April is the prime fishing season with more consistent weather and active fish. We were on the dam for a few days last week and although the weather was challenging, managed some good fish. Unfortunately I was not on hand to take a pic of a yellow my Dad landed which he estimated to be in excess of 6kg.
We have secured a number of weekends at Qwantani Resort and you can either book individual places or a group. Ideal for father and son or a group of mates (Preferably max three fishers on a boat). The package includes transport, accommodation, boat and guide (skippers license). If you would prefer alternative dates then please give us a shout and we will make a plan. More info or book now. Dates are:
- 26-29 Jan (1 rod)
- 2-5 Feb (3 rods)
Qwantani Resort is owned by First Resorts and overlooks a magnificent section of Sterkfontein Dam. The well appointed chalets have three bedrooms and two bathrooms. The master bedroom and a second bedroom will be available to accommodate guests on our trips. Each chalet has a fully equipped kitchen although there is a restaurant and bar on the property. Our trips include participation with preparation of meals.
The main target species is small and large mouth yellow fish. The water in the dam is generally crystal clear with unbelievable visibility. This provides superb sight fishing opportunities. The fish predominantly feed on terrestrials (beetles, flying ants and grass hoppers) which end up in the water from the grasslands fringing the dam. We therefore set up dry flies on floating fly lines which need to be presented with as much finesse as possible. We focus mainly on boating to a specific area and then stalking the fish from the bank.
- Day 1 - Approx. 4,5 hour drive from Johannesburg to Qwantani Resort. Launch boat, set up fly fishing rods and afternoon fish. Prepare dinner and discuss days events over a quiet refreshment.
- Day 2/3 - Breakfast and prepare packed lunch. Head onto the water after breakfast and spend the day on the water. We will target different areas of the dams based on weather and where we find the best fishing. Prepare dinner and chat about days events.
- Final day - early morning fish if weather permits then check out and head home.
- Return transport from Johannesburg to Qwantani Resort
- Accommodation at Qwantani
- Boat with fuel
- Fly fishing guide (with skippers license)
- Meals (for guests and guide)
- Fly fishing tackle and flies
- Tips and gratuities
- Transport if opting for that package options
Prices (Including Transport) based on 3 fishing guests
- Friday to Monday (3 nights weekend) from R5750pp
Sunday to Friday (5 night mid week) from price on request
Full week (7 nights) from price on request
Prices (Guest providing Transport) based on 3 fishing guests:
- Friday to Sunday (2 nights weekend) on request
- Friday to Monday (3 nights weekend) price on request
- Full week (7 nights) price on request
Valid from: 12 January 2024
Expires: 8 March 2024
26-29 Jan (1 rod left)
2-5 Feb (3 rods)
Terms and Conditions
Bookings will be accepted on a first come, first serve basis
50% deposit payment required to secure and balance of payment 30 days prior to trip.
Please provide transport for fly fishing guide for packages where transport is not included. Guests may also be requested to assist with towing the boat from or to Johannesburg to Qwantani.